It is a great experience to have one single thing of multiple benefits. Trees are perhaps the best example in this regard. Another thing is Milk– the greatest food item ever.
The world’s original ‘energy drink’ has much to offer than only being the ideal food in its regular form. Cheese is the most popular food that milk can give us. There is hardly a person who doesn’t like cheese- may be not in the raw form, but definitely with pizza and other food. We will talk about cheese some other day.
Today, our focus is on the healthiest food item that milk can produce- Yogurt!
Yogurt is a wonderful food item. It’s loaded with nutrients and great for the skin as well. To maintain an overall healthy body, yogurt is second to none. With a regular intake, even a broken health can recover to a fittest one. Yogurt can also help in losing and maintaining body weight. Let us know about this amazingly healthy food in a new way.
Since a beautiful skin is not possible without a fit body, so first let’s see what yogurt can do for our health:
Yogurt for Health & Fitness
A light weight and strong body is the new ‘sexy’ in today’s world. all the people who have been struggling to lose weight or are trying to maintain it- have tried a lot of things. Today, what I am going to tell is not something ‘never-heard-before’. In fact, many of us know it already that yogurt is a great food for maintaining fitness. So, let’s know the health benefits of yogurt once more:
- Yogurt is rich in protein.
- Take about 18 ounces of Greek yogurt a day in order to lose weight faster and to lose fat, not your priceless muscles. In fact, studies have shown that yogurt helps shed weight around the abdominal area which is the most dangerous to work with. The yogurt-eaters lost 22% more weight, 61% more body fat and 81% more stomach fat during the 12-week test taken place at the University of Tennessee 1, 2. Fat around the waist produces the hormone ‘cortisol’ which tells the body to accumulate more fat whereas, the ‘calcium’ of yogurt signals the cells to pump out less cortisol and makes it easier for the body to burn fat faster.
- Metabolism is the key factor in not only losing weight, but also in staying fit & healthy. A high rate of metabolism means a great digestive system. The essential bacteria that help digest our food properly are all found in the yogurt.
- Yogurt is a great source of vitamins like vitamin B5 & B12, phosphorous, riboflavin, iodine, zinc etc. An 8 ounce serving of yogurt provides about 60% of the daily need of vitamins of an adult women 1.
- We all know that the sodium, which is one of the two elements of our daily food salt, is not a good friend for our heart and blood pressure. Often it’s taken in more amount than needed for the body. The potassium found in yogurt helps us get rid of the excess sodium from our body 3.
- Yogurt boosts the body immunity in general. Regular intake of yogurt keeps the cold and stomach diseases away.
- Even the sweet and flavored yogurt are not harmful for our body. It doesn’t erode the tooth enamel and doesn’t cause cavity as well 4. In fact, the lactic acid in yogurt protects the gum- making sure a healthy smile!
- It’s great as a snack item and a dessert. Plus, many delicious food can also come out of this wonderful ingredient.
Good to remember: There are many flavors of yogurt available in the market. But as every other thing, nothing is as good as the original, natural one. Therefore, no matter how tasty or healthy those flavored ones seem to be- avoid them if you wish to stay fit. It is also true for the skin care benefits. The simple Greek yogurt with a little sour taste is the best one.
Guilt-free indulgence: I myself love this wonderful snack and it’s become my new favorite ever since I tried it the first time. Just as an experiment, I added half a tea-spoon of raw sugar to a small bawl of Greek yogurt. I stirred the whole thing with that very spoon and like it should be, it turned out like cream- a cream that had nothing to cause harm to my body or fitness regimen. Instead, it worked as a wonderful motivation as I have it right after a work-out session. It also helps recover after a work-out session. But I use sugar only once a week after the longest session of the week- on other days, I replace sugar with less than a quarter of tea-spoon of honey (honey makes it too sweet, so it’s better to use it the least). It’s actually a gift to myself when I successfully maintain what I planned at the beginning of the week :).
Hope this piece of writing has been helpful and a good reminder to those who forgot these awesome facts.
Next day: Food in Focus: Yogurt – Yogurt Wonders II… (know about the beauty benefits of yogurt)
Keep coming back to find out more such wonderful facts about life.
Love your life and live to the fullest.
- Dessert in Disguise? How to Choose the Healthiest Yogurt Option (operationtrain.com)
- Substitute Yogurt for Mayo and Never Use Mayo Again (weightloss.answers.com)
- The Yogurt That Helps You Lose Weight (mensjournal.com)